Standards for linking with regional economies
- Local community members dominate employment in CBT initiatives.
- Local/regional sourcing of products and services dominates CBT initiatives.
- Local community products are used in preference to imports (e.g., locally produced vs mass-produced souvenirs).
- Strong cooperation with other CBTs and regional private and government organizations exists to increase regional tourism.
Standards for maintaining cultural integrity and enriching valued cultural
- Cultural assets of significance to the local community and valued cultural traditions are identified, documented and endorsed by relevant communities.
- Programs exist to authentically present, enhance and retain local cultural traditions towards protecting cultural integrity, identity and values.
- Practices ensure that all rules, regulations, and laws relevant to the protection of culture and heritage are followed.
- CBT management supports the retention of traditional livelihoods and initiatives that create alternative livelihoods.
- A code of visitor behavior exists to inform visitors of appropriate behavior within communities.
- A community decision-making process exists that identifies what cultural assets and traditions will be shared with visitors.